Cannot repair side wall, alternatives?

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Cannot repair side wall, alternatives?

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:35 am

I need to get a new tire for the quad as it has a side wall puncture, cannot repair those damn things,Is there a tube that someone sells possibly that I could use in there instead of having to get a total new tire? save me some money and would get a few of them in case something happened on the trail I could have a tube ? Any suggestions?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:39 am

Yes there is a tube.... Most of us carry them as spares.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:43 am

Are the tubes pretty thick to resist goat punctures and that kind of crap?

I will have to head into the atv shop this weekend and see if they have any. . . then get to work repairing. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:53 am

Are the tubes pretty thick to resist goat punctures and that kind of crap?
Yes they are..... and what? goat punctures?
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:57 am

Goat heads. . . they are small thorns that are up here in the chico area. . . Anoying. . . I go through about 2 bike tubes a week in the summer time on my mountain bike. I even have a inner liner for the tires that is thick, but they still find their way through
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:27 am

Star Thistle.... Is this what your talking about?

http://www.hiddenvilla.org/Assets/Galle ... istle4.htm

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 am

I would of not told him and let him keep on with Goat Heads. People would think he is running over Goats
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:15 am

lol... Goat heads.... Who would have thought. :shock:

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:36 pm

no guys, Chadd, support me here, I lived in the country for 22 years and I know what star thistle is. . . these are more like a blackberry thorn, or a rose bush thorn, just a little bigger and more resistant to breaking when something rolls over them. . . I will take a pictre for you natire enthusist this weekend and then you can all appologize to me. . . I accept appologies in the Red Zin variety,
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:39 pm

Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:18 pm

lol.... Did your read your plants location? A native of Arizona.... I'm curious, when did Chico become a city in Arizona? Hummmm......

Also.....
I accept appologies in the Red Zin variety
IF... That were to ever happen I'm guessing you'll only drink it out of a box.
Last edited by Mr. Miyagi on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:03 pm

Yes many flat tires from goat heads, I would ride my mountain bike to work at csuc, when rideing in the chico park must watch out for the plant and try to stay on the pavement. Terry you carry a tube?? how do you brake the tire down on the trail? ( brake the bead) I have been thinking of bringing along a tube, but not sure about the process. I have changed tons of bicycle tubes but that is a differant story.

DAVE

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:38 pm

Well, according to Jack and Larry (aka: Rainbow Kid).... riding another quad over the tire might do it provided it's a 3 ply tire.... Jack said he's used a sledge hammer once to break the bead... However, your best bet is to purchase and carry a bead breaker.....

They make these small(er) portible ones..... Look around in the tire section, I think Jack posted a link to a couple of places.

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

Cannot repair side wall,alternatives?

Postby jack whelen » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:39 pm

I carry a bead breaker, tube, tire bars ,tire spoons,plugs,patchesfor tube,and assortment of air ( co2,bike pump,and 12v pump) you can never carry to much tire repair equipment. When your trapped in a area you will wish you had these things.(Shit happens). http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi ... 968&pid=55
Montana Jack
[i]"If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."[/i]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:49 pm

Yes....as we know from Sunday. 2 sidewall rips.

And yes...DUSTY you cheap MO FO....I'm buying new tires.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/