Want ITP's for 05 SP 500HO

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

Joey2
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Want ITP's for 05 SP 500HO

Postby Joey2 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:56 am

Wow, finally an ATV Fourm where the people know what they are talking about. Sorry about that I just had to get that out.

I have not had a problem with my factory tires but I am considering the ITP 589's for my 2005 SP 500 HO (Mossy Oak). I have checked the ITP web site but they do not have my factory size tire?

My questions are:

What size tires should I order, I want it close to factory size.

Also, I may want to get a set of rims for the new tires. I do not think that chrome would look good with the mossy oak. Should I get the black factory rims or is there a good site with ATV rims?

Any advice would be appretiated.
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Warn Winch / Glacier Plow System
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:04 am

And we won't rant on you!

oh wait...yes we will. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, Terry has the 589's in the 25" size. The ONLY difference between the 25" stock and 25" 589's, is they are 1" narrower. If you're trying to keep the same diameter.....then that's the size to go for.

Since you have a 500HO....I would warn you(well..really not WARN you..not like they're danger) that you will lose power going to the 26", because they are 1" WIDER than the stock tires. So you have quite a bit more rubber to move around.

The rule of thumb is:

1 lb of weight added or deducted from the body/frame (Non-moving part) is a 1 to 1 addition or subtraction in HP.

1 lb of weight added or deducted from the Wheels is a 1 to 5 addition/subtraction in the HP.

1 lb of weight added/subtracted from the moving parts in the engine, is a 1 to 15 addition/subtraction in the hp.

So..you can see....Tire weight has a pretty significant effect on your "get up and go".

As for the rims....I agree...Black would be best for mossy. Chrome is...bleck, IMO.

If you go to the Links page...Tires N Stuff has the tires and rims...together. They come to your house, mounted and ready to go. Steel rims are heavier.....but will last longer. Aluminum are more $$...by a LONG shot. I personally, have steel. The rims are like $30 bucks and if you bought 'em seperate...it will cost about $10-$15 to have them mounted. So...really...the new rims are about $15 bucks more than putting tires on your old rims. Just about everytime I buy a new tire....I just get a new rim.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:13 am

So what Ken's trying to say is; if you take off the tires/wheels and replace thew with skateboard wheels, remove the engine and point your quad straight down off a cliff and let her fly... it will go really, really fast.... lol.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:10 pm

Ferrari fast...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/