Mudlite ATR or Bear Claws?

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

Joey2
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Mudlite ATR or Bear Claws?

Postby Joey2 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:38 am

Ok so I've decided its time to go in debt buy buying a set of tires and rims. But I am torn between two brands.

The ATR's seem to be the front runner, the all around tire but it is high in price.

The Bear Claws's tread pattern looks similar to the ATR but is much heavier per tire (I don't like that). But the Bear Claw is cheaper in price.

Has anyone here had experience with one or both of these tires?
I have read through some of the preivious posts already.

Bear Claw or Mudlite ATR?
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Warn Winch / Glacier Plow System
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:24 am

One of our riders has 27" bear claws..... and IMO he seems to have the most trouble with tires. Ken, Jack and I have the 589's but personally I think the mud lites are the best ALL around tire.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:43 pm

Here my review of these tires.

Bear Paw.

Plus: Price, tread pattern, durabilty.

Minus: Hard rubber compound, doesn't grip rocks well, especially after getting wet.

Mudlite.

Plus: Good all around tread pattern, works well on rocks, snow, mud and hard pack, has pretty smooth ride considering tread pattern

Minus: Soft rubber wears fast! Dan has 2 sets on 2 quads, and he's already replaced them.

589:

Plus: Nasty Tread pattern. Best gripping tire on rock, especially after getting wet, great traction in all conditions except snow, 2" lugs last a LONG time, considering grip.

Minus: Dig grave in snow, rough ride on hard pack.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Joey2

Postby Joey2 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:40 pm

Ken, Mr. Miyagi, in your opinion.

Do you think that the difference in weight should even be considered?

Should I worry about the Bear Claw being heavier than the Mud Lite, thus taking more power away from the 500 HO?
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Joey2

Postby Joey2 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:43 pm

Oh yeah,

I never ride on large rocks. 50% of my riding is on hard pack with some deep mud holes. The other 50% is snow riding with the plow. I was happy in the snow with the factory tires.
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
"You need a POLARIS!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:23 am

If you're never on rocks...the Bear Paw(claw) will last a long time and probably be a good tire for you.

Weight....you will notice any of them, over the stock tire...particularly if you go up in diameter.

Would you notice between the Mudlite and Bear Paw?....Eh...not sure what the weight difference is per tire.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:21 pm

NOTICE TO PREVIOUS POSTERS...

He's referring to the Mud Light ATR (All Terrain Radial). This is a whole new tire over previous Mud Lights. It has a similar tread pattern but definitely different. This would be my choice. Pay the money. A good friend just put a set on his Brute-Force and loves them. The first long test will be in about ten days, but these tires kick ass so far. I have the Big Horns and love them, but I don't do much mud.
Rincon that's dialed in.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:08 pm

lizzard, what size did your budy get??? 12'' 14'' wheel, how tall 26'' 27'' I have a brute 750 and looking to up grade.

THANKS DAVE

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:37 am

He went with the 26" tire on 12s.
Rincon that's dialed in.