Do I need Spacers with my new tires?

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

gtilby
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Do I need Spacers with my new tires?

Postby gtilby » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:01 am

I just bought a set of Mudlight XTR's for my 03 SP 700. I am keeping the stock wheels and I am having doubts now if the new tires are going to rub on the tie rods. Factory tires were 25-8-12 on the front and 25-11-12 on the rear. The size I have in the mail to me is 26-9-12 and 26-12-12. Can anyone shed any light on this. I need to order them soon if I need them or I will be waiting another week before I can ride. Thanks :)
I can't believe I sold my vintage VW Bus to get a quad, but my Sportsman 700 does have about the same top end speed. :)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:40 am

If you kept the stock rims...my bet is, you will rub on the front tie rod end.

Steve did on his 800. The Polaris offset is near outside of the rim. The ITP offset is near the middle of the rim. It's pretty dramatic.

If it does rub....you have 3 choices.

1) Buy new steel rims and now pay for the tires to be installed. $35 * 4 * 10 or 20 for install. If you ordered the rims WITH the tires...they come mounted...saving the 10 to 20 install per tire.

2) Buy more expense aluminum rims

3) Spend $150+ on spacers. Spacers AREN'T cheap...and need to be well made and perfect balanced....so I wouldn't cut corners.

4 new steel rims with tires mounted at purchase...are cheaper than wheel spacers.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

gtilby

Postby gtilby » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:10 am

Luckily I have a few ins to help with the prices on some of these expensive extras. I got a great deal on the tires and I have a friend at a tire dealership that will mount them for free. If they rub, I suppose I could just spring for the spacers but how much would it be to buy new steel rims and where could I find some? Does anyplace that sells the tires usually carry the rims too?

Gene
I can't believe I sold my vintage VW Bus to get a quad, but my Sportsman 700 does have about the same top end speed. :)

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:22 am

The ITP Deltas (their Steel wheel) are typically +1" offset, so it widens the track of the quad 2". I know you can get the wheels through Les Schwab, but can probably find a better deal online. Try BC-offroad.com, he can get them and you will probably have them in a couple days if you're on the West Coast. They run about $40 a wheel, same as a set of spacers. Ask your tire friend or even where you bought the tires, they can probably get them as well.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:18 am

The tires'n stuff link on the site is 42...but what I've heard about Bryan, is BC will beat that.

Highlifter.com spacers are the best...Bar none.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:36 pm

Highlifter.com spacers are the best...Bar none
$$$$.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:57 pm

BC-Offroad has a set of four 1" that I tried and did not like. He will sell them as used, nothing wrong with them when I sent them back.

P.S. 4 on 156 X 1" Highlifter
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:14 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
Highlifter.com spacers are the best...Bar none
$$$$.....

Yep. Sure..you can use cheaper ones....as long as you're ok with breakage or having your tires rotate in an eliptical or oval pattern. :)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:34 pm

having your tires rotate in an eliptical or oval pattern.
Ok..... Mr. Engineer ..... lol.

I was thinking more on the lines of getting a set of rims. Two fold.... elliminating spacers and having a spare set of rims/tires.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:37 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
having your tires rotate in an eliptical or oval pattern.
I was thinking more on the lines of getting a set of rims. Two fold.... elliminating spacers and having a spare set of rims/tires.
I'm with you all the way on that one. It's the same cost or less to get rims over good spacers. I just thought you commenting that Highlifters were too much.

Steve got the Highlifter spacers....you can tell...they're the shit, as far as construction goes....but as you say...they were $$$$.

I guess you could always stack the wheel bolts with washers ;)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

gtilby

Postby gtilby » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Ok, I bought new ITP rims, black powder coated and they worked great. No clearance issues at all. Thanks for the advice. Now I can't wait to go ride.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Sweet.

Did you have to pay to have the tires mounted??

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director