BigHorns Vs Dirt Tamer

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Hmmm. Actually, it's hard to tell why I wasn't impressed. Either they have their air pressure way too high....or the tires don't budge much. I'm assuming it's the former.

Clip 13....The tires hardly flex at all....which is why this guy struggles.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:50 pm

I wasn't sure what he was trying to show in clip 12 and 13 either. The way he was pimping the clutch I expected a little more. Looked like he was just spinning his wheels, no real crawling going on
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

BradM
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby BradM » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:57 pm

Ken wrote:Hmmm. Actually, it's hard to tell why I wasn't impressed. Either they have their air pressure way too high....or the tires don't budge much. I'm assuming it's the former.

I noticed that too. I'm not impressed. eek... And what's with the endless throttle feathering? I saw no Heelclicker advantage. I think Heelclicker places extra strain on the motor.
http://www.intrepidexplorers.org/

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:31 am

BradM wrote:
Ken wrote:Hmmm. Actually, it's hard to tell why I wasn't impressed. Either they have their air pressure way too high....or the tires don't budge much. I'm assuming it's the former.

I noticed that too. I'm not impressed. eek... And what's with the endless throttle feathering? I saw no Heel clicker advantage. I think Heel clicker places extra strain on the motor.
About the heel clicker for Brad and Ken He has to high of a engagement springs in that set-up. You don't see mine running like that do you?
"engagement spring" Heaver primary spring this hold the primary clutch back from shifting to a higher RPM. Sounds like he would start to kick in at about 2500RPM. So people for racing want that so any and all shifting is in the peak HP and torque range.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:01 am

MrBill...Do you think it would be better to go to a stock 06-800 primary assem. or just upgrade with a Team or H-C clutch kit. Alls I'm looking for is better all around performance. You can go in frickin' circles for hours on deciding what to do with all the options out there.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:25 am

What kind of altatude changes do you ride in?
What size tires are you running?
Do you want more top-end (top speed)?
Do you want more off the line torque?
Do you run more mud, rocks, or more trails?
The new 06-800 Primary is a team.
I know the heelclicker will give you more torque and ebs control. You may loose one or two MPR off the top end.
Heelclicker is working on some brand new weights and things are sounding very good.

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:35 am

Just had a long talk with Chadd. The thing with the Team Primary clutch is it starts out smaller before shift out so you get a lower gear at start.
I'm going to bug Mama and see if I can go for the hole team set-up Prime/Driven 8) Then put my heelclicker in that. I can't see going for a new quad yet $$$
I don't like the fender coverage as far as mudding and all that.
Besides I keep it long enough I can do the .030" bore over and a cam :shock:
I would net be that far behind the rest of you guys.

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:47 pm

Thx Bill, Im going to do what Chadd had said before...go with the 800 set-up as well.For the amount of money spent its probably the best option. I didn't realize the 800 set-up was actually a Team Clutch. Its an EFI so im not worried about alt. I plan on getting the BigHorns when these pxt's are done and will probably go from 26 to 27in. We usually run trails and end up in heavy hilly "scrub" some mud some rock Im always in and out of low/high... thinking the 800 set-up will help all around.

BC

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:49 am

Its an EFI so im not worried about alt.
He was asking because of the different clutch setups due to altitude. The motor(even and efi) will have less power at altitude due to the lack of oxygen available. The altitude clutch adjustment increases the engagment rpm to build more power before being put under load. Hope this helps.

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:29 am

All of Polaris clutches are made by team.. The drive clutch is just a standard Polaris clutch nothing fancy about it. Like Junfan said a clutch kit is important for many reasons. if ride high elevation all the time than tune your clutch for that elevation. All bikes come from the factory set up for 0-6000 ft.. the higher the elevation the less air the less horsepower so you need lighter weights and springs. I put a High elevation EPI clutch kit in mine last Summer and it made all differance in the world. When i sold the bike i took it out and have it sitting in the shop if anybody is interested and wants to try it out.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:23 pm

Holy crap, head is spinnin' LOL just trying to understand all this clutch talk. I didnt realize elevation was that important. Something else to add to the pile of info. Chadd I'm going to get the 800 primary/belt and go from there. Just looking for better overall performance in high range, thinking there is alot more power that isn't getting used properly with this set-up or do I get the springs and weights and achieve the same thing?

Sry for all the questions I just dont want to spend a ton of cash(the 800 set-up is big bucks up here) and find I didnt need to go that far. Thx gents

BC.

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:36 pm

When i sold the bike i took it out and have it sitting in the shop if anybody is interested and wants to try it out.
BC If Chadd is willing to let you try it, they go for it. You may be happy with just a clutch kit. You will be impressed at the results you get when you setup the clutch for your type of riding. It is like a different machine.

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm assuming you ride at and above 6000 ft??The clutch kit is big improvements.. I tried it first and still wasn't satisfied. Thats why i went with both the 800 clutch and the clutch kit...lol I wanted to pull the tires off the ground and the only way to do it was with the 800 clutch.. I could have stiffened the hell out of the spring but in the rocks and tight trees it would have sucked...

BC, you go with the 800 clutch and belt, use your 700 spring and weights and you will have a huge smile on your face.. Put the clutch kit in and it's even better...

You know when your riding skid trails and you want to pop the front tires up to over a log or water bar?.. Thats all I was looking for...lol AND since all my buddies bought 800 I had to show them that a 700 could do the same thing..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.