54 Million dollar pair of pants?

Just be nice.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

54 Million dollar pair of pants?

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:11 am

This guy should be removed from the bench, and dis-barred. He needs to get a whiff of the real world.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A judge in Washington pressed a $54 million lawsuit Tuesday against a dry cleaning shop which he said violated consumer-protection laws when it lost his pants.

Roy L. Pearson, an administrative judge for the District of Columbia, told a local court that Custom Cleaners should pay the sum because a "satisfaction guaranteed" sign deceived consumers who, like him, were dissatisfied with their experience.
"You will search the records of the District of Columbia courts in vain for a case of more egregious or willful misconduct," Pearson told D.C. Judge Judith Bartnoff.

The lawyer for the Korean immigrants who run the dry cleaner said Pearson was looking for a way to resolve his financial difficulties after a divorce.

"It's simply a frivolous lawsuit brought by an unhappy customer with a bone to pick," attorney Chris Manning said.

Pearson filed suit after the cleaners lost his pants in 2005. Jin Chung, Soo Chung and Ki Chung said they located the pants a few days later, but Pearson said they were not his.

Pearson counted 12 separate violations of a consumer-protection law over 1,200 days, multiplied by the three defendants. At $1,500 per day, that is $65 million.

He also seeks $15,000 to rent a car to take his clothes to another cleaner for the next 10 years, among other charges.

He has rejected several settlement offers.

Pearson has since reduced his claim to $54 million.

The Chungs, who immigrated from South Korea in 1992, have grown disillusioned with the United States and might return to their native country, Manning said.

The case, expected to conclude Wednesday, has attracted attention as an example of over-litigiousness in the United States.

The Washington Post questioned whether Pearson should remain in his job hearing cases involving the decisions of D.C. government agencies.

"The case raises serious questions about his judgment and temperament," the newspaper wrote in an editorial.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm

I heard something about that on the news very briefly this morning, and wondered if I had heard correctly.

Agrreed, instead of trying to fix the litigous problem we have in this country today, this a'hole is just adding to it. And to be a judge on top of that!!!

If only I could be in a position for one day to do something about people like this.........
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 pm

Kendo wrote:If only I could be in a position for one day to do something about people like this.........

The title Supreme Leader of Common Sense would be nice.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

bam_air
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby bam_air » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:55 pm

or supreme editor of stupid decisions
life is an adventure when you fall down... get back up

ME

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:10 pm

"A judge ruled Monday in favor of a South Korean dry cleaner owner who was sued for $54 million.

The judge also ordered Pearson to pay the court costs of the defendants.
Those costs came to just over $1,000, according to the Chungs' attorney.
A motion to recover the tens of thousands of dollars they spent in attorney fees will be considered later."

I hope they do recover all of the attorney fees...then this guys pants will be really cleaned out... along with any lint.... :roll: :mrgreen:
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 pm

God....faith is restored.

I heard tonight on CNN, that the legal fees for the dry cleaner were 100K. 100K for this absurd lawsuit.

Now....this "judge" who is under financial pressure from his divorce, will now likely pay OUT 100K....if you recall...the final offer from the dry cleaner was 12K :shock: :shock: :shock:

And....this guy should be removed from his Job.

Hope it was worth it!

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director