Fire Prevention Fee/Tax AB129

Just be nice.

Moderator: hemingray

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Fire Prevention Fee/Tax AB129

Postby DAVE » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I just got a bill for $135.00 and I would expect I will be getting a few more since I am a land barren with a few rentals. I am fed up with this state. It's just one thing after another. Taxes, taxes and more taxes, DMV tax, Loss of our use of forest lands, high fuel prices, over regulation buy the state and local goverment. layer upon layer of goverment regulation, it's no wonder people and business are leaving this state. They just don't get it.

I may start a thread later on about the best place to live, out of this F#@$%^&^ place :(
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Fire Prevention Fee/Tax AB129

Postby Ken » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm ONE FUCKING BLOCK out of the so-called "Fire protection" zone....so i'm sure my bill is on the way....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Get a load of this news.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Fire ... 814329.php

Aside from the repeal being a part of a political "deal", the fee was also under threat from the probability of a lawsuit from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association.

See their site for info, especially their recommendations on paying: http://firetaxprotest.org/?page_id=13

The thing, as written, is so full of flaws and imbalance that it was sure to be the subject of lots of lawsuits. It's just another money grub by the useless Gov. Moonbeam.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

hemingray wrote:Get a load of this news.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Fire ... 814329.php

Aside from the repeal being a part of a political "deal", the fee was also under threat from the probability of a lawsuit from the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association.

See their site for info, especially their recommendations on paying: http://firetaxprotest.org/?page_id=13

The thing, as written, is so full of flaws and imbalance that it was sure to be the subject of lots of lawsuits. It's just another money grub by the useless Gov. Moonbeam.

Thanks a bunch for the info, I got two more bills over the weekend for a total of three. Nice to know all my years of hard work is being rewarded.

DAVEF
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm

We're in another fire district, but I'm not sure if that matters. I'm waiting to see if we get a bill.

I think we're discovering the worth of organizations like the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association and the PLF. It seems like fending off the government is probably going to be the way of the future...

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:28 pm

From the Auburn Journal today:

Another View: ‘Illegal’ fire tax bills arriving by mail now
Another View
By Senator Ted Gaines, guest columnist
Despite my efforts to stop it by referendum and legislation, the illegal fire tax is being assessed on more than 825,000 rural Californians starting this month, including 57,549 in Placer County.
This so-called fee was passed in 2011 to extract up to $150 per habitable structure from property owners. The tax will not provide any more fire protection and will actually make it harder for local fire agencies to raise the money they need to keep people safe. It’s a lose-lose proposition for the people in my district and for anyone concerned with public safety and the rule of law.
This tax should have been subject to a two-thirds vote in the legislature just like every other tax, but the Democrats called it a fee to get around that requirement. The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association is planning to file a lawsuit disputing the fee’s legality and I hope it gets overturned as soon as possible.
Until that happens, though, the State Board of Equalization (BOE) has already begun mailing the first bills for the new fire tax this month and hopes to have all bills sent by December. The BOE has also begun mailing an advance notice to the affected property owners to warn them that the bills are coming, and to provide them with a brochure explaining the “fee.”
No matter how many mailers or explanations or warnings any agency sends out, it doesn’t make this tax any more right or more legal. It was, is and always will be a shakedown of rural property owners that takes their money every single year but gives them zero in the way of additional fire protection.
Wildfires are currently raging out of control across the north state and they won’t be put out by the phantom protections promised in this bogus tax. We need more firefighters, bulldozers, trucks and the other equipment that does the hard work of fighting these wildfires and protecting us, our homes and our property. This tax leaves us no safer, only poorer and more skeptical than ever of a government that takes and spends taxpayer dollars with no regard to the law or to fairness.
I wanted to share with you several resources you can use to equip yourselves with information. Visit www.calfirefee.com to see if you live in a “State Responsibility Area” and will be paying this tax. For questions regarding your bill, contact (888) 310-6447. For more information regarding the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association efforts, visit www.firetaxprotest.org.
Senator Ted Gaines represents the 1st Senate District, which includes all or parts of Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento and Sierra counties.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Excellent assessment of the whole problem. I also think it gives CalFire a HUGE black eye.

It's disgusting.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm

09 can-am renegade

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Good one!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Well, isn't this nice.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/califor ... -fire.html

Talk about ruining the credibility of an agency, so much for CDF being upright. I wonder when they (forget whether Howard Jarvis Assn or PLF) will file the lawsuit? It seems CalFire should have some funding for "fire education" now. Nice that they paid for someone to hide the money too - 3% going in and 15% going out.

What sh**hole state this is.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~