Spirit Of St. Louis

Just be nice.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Spirit Of St. Louis

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:22 pm

I've had a consulting assignment in San Diego, for the better part of 18 months.

I really love history, and one of the most interesting facts about my client, is that the building I worked in was the location of Ryan Aircraft Company. Ryan built the Spirit Of St. Louis for Charles Lindburgh in his successful attempt to cross the Atlantic solo.

The arrow notes the location.

Lindbergh visited Ryan Aviation's San Diego plant, which still exuded pungent reminders of its previous use as a cannery. He felt in his bones time was running out. His first choice, the Columbia aircraft, was unobtainable, so with his options nearly nil he signed papers with the Ryan company and practically moved in. Engineer Donald A. Hall designed just what Lindbergh wanted -a flying gasoline tank almost twenty-eight feet long and with a forty-six foot wing span.

This photo hangs on a wall in a conference room.

This is the current condition:

Here's what's outside the building.

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:41 pm

lol.... You are here. :arrow:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:32 pm

am sure people thought you were doing re-con taking pictures from the air like that. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:41 am

MrPolaris wrote:am sure people thought you were doing re-con taking pictures from the air like that. . .

LOL...Or that years ago....you were just taking pictures. Now?? Sir, we're below 10,000 ft. All electronics need to be turned off or you'll cause us to crash and die.

Crash and die? just a few years ago, I could operate a laptop from gate to gate...and now my 2 ounce camera is going to cause us to die?

I just made sure the flash was off....and snapped away...fawk 'em.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:06 am

Mythbusters needs to do a segment on cell phones NOT causing planes to crash. . .

I did hear the real reason that they do not allow them to be used is it messes up the cell towers. When you are up in the air, a cell phone can reach hundreds of towers at once, this will clauge up hte towers lines as each tries to grab the call. . . so they say. . . then again I can only imagine some yahoo talking on his phone while in flight. . . cells are already a nusence half the time. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:39 am

MrPolaris wrote:Mythbusters needs to do a segment on cell phones NOT causing planes to crash. . .

I did hear the real reason that they do not allow them to be used is it messes up the cell towers. When you are up in the air, a cell phone can reach hundreds of towers at once, this will clauge up hte towers lines as each tries to grab the call. . . so they say. . . then again I can only imagine some yahoo talking on his phone while in flight. . . cells are already a nusence half the time. . .
They did a few weeks ago

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:27 am

Yup....and they proved cell phones CAN cause interference with aircraft instruments. When they made a call, the directional guidance when whacky.

The myth was worded: Airlines ban cell phones so you have to pay for the expensive air phones.

BUSTED.

The only plane it didn't have an effect, was a special private jet where every wire in the plane was shielded.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:45 pm

Dude, I need to get cable again. I am so out of touch with the mythbusters. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .