Mods

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Mods

Postby Thrasher » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:49 am

What kind's of mods have ya''ll done to ya'lls Sporties?
Only thing I have done is added the winch, hand guards and tank bag for my GPS.
the stock rawhides seem to do well for my riding down here, was thinking of maybe adding a new pipe but have yet to find one..
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Mods

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:28 pm

Thrasher wrote:What kind's of mods have ya''ll done to ya'lls Sporties?
Only thing I have done is added the winch, hand guards and tank bag for my GPS.
the stock rawhides seem to do well for my riding down here, was thinking of maybe adding a new pipe but have yet to find one..

Quite a bit....and a lot of us are different. Since we go on rocks...skid plates are big with us.

My 2 ATV's have custom made aluminum plates that protect the front of the foot rest and the bottom. After I spent $112 on a new one after a log went through it just by my toe.....

I have 1 quad with Pro Armor plates on the A-Arm and Front skid.

I have a Magellan GPS mounted on my handle bars and a 12volt power chord on my ATV.

I have 2 MotoComm headsets in our helmets for communicating with Motorola 5900 series radios.

2 Tank bags.

Both ATV's have Warn 2.5ci winches. I bring another 50ft of cable and so does my buddy...so with straps, we have almost 200ft. Trust me...After we got stuck http://www.atvobsession.com/pictures/Di ... /index.htm (picture 24) on this trip, and had only 95ft and the nearest tree was like 93 ft away....I bought 50 feet and Jack bought 50 feet the next week.

Tires....I have 26" ITP 589's (plus I kept my stock Rawhides for trail riding) on both ATV"s. You can see pictures of them in my living room...LOL.

Jack has the same tires.....some others in the group, have the Mudlites.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:32 pm

Hey Thrasher...

I'd recommend not getting the "MotoComm headsets in our helmets for communicating with Motorola 5900 series radios". Cuz.... When you ride with "Ken" the dude just never shuts up.....

Kenny, we go to the mountains to get AWAY from all the yacking. As a matter of fact Thrasher, if you ever ride out here with Ken, I'd recommend ear plugs....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:50 am

Lol Miyagi!

I was debating some skid plates...when I go riding, sometimes the trails are whooped out...so I make my own....a lot of times there seems to be logs/branches/misc dreck on the ground and would sure hate to have something pop up and bust something under my quad.

I do carry and extra 25' tow strap and i keep it rolled up in the seat storage. which already has come in handy. (except i melted part of it on the muffler this past weekend...oops!)

my buddy and I have been debating radios..but he also wants a GPS..I want a new GPS too...and I came across these...

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino130/

a gps/radio combo... :shock: if u get seperated u can send yer WP to yer buddy. kinda slick! I wonder if u can get headsets for it?

------------------------------------

The Rino 130 is the most feature-rich unit in the Rino family, with a built-in electronic compass, barometric sensor, weather receiver for seven NOAA weather channels, and 24 MBs of internal memory. This handheld radio has a built-in electronic compass to give a heading while the user is standing still, and a barometric altimeter to provide extremely accurate elevation and pressure information, which will assist users in identifying weather data.

The Rino 130 provides two-way radio communication with a transmission range of up to two miles using FRS channels and up to five miles with GMRS. The integration of two-way radio and GPS enables users to transmit their position with a simple button press, allowing others to navigate to their position. The Rino 130 also has a polling feature, which allows a user to manually request GPS location information from other Rino units
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:11 am

GPS/Radio..that is slick.

Terry has some "issues".

http://www.atvobsession.com/miyagi.html
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:46 pm

ouch! brutal! lol!!

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

If I can give my reccomendations on GPS

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:56 am

I know the sound of the combo Unit GPS/Walkie Talkie sounds cool, but then again so does a sound system that has Dolby digital and all the other built in features. I am a huge fan of componentization. One breaks, you break both.

In addition, one thing that I found when looking for GPS units is the difference between the Barometer based Altimeter and the Satellite Based Altimeter. With the barometric pressure one, you need to constantly man and re-calibrate it. When you are running off the Satellite Altimeter you have can be sure that it is always accurate.

I also found that when you are looking for the units the ability to mount it on your handlebars or somewhere in visible site is essential. An HT is made to be in a pocket or something like that.
I know that I would be happy with a GPS and HT units that are separate. Then again I ride a Honda, so asking the rest of the group what they think of my thoughts might not hold water. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:42 pm

well, they do make a handlebar mount for this unit and headsets as well...
I hear ya on having things in components (did that with my truck speakers btw, sounds awesome!), but still, not have to worry about 2 sets of batteries (ok, POLARIS does have a 12v cigarette lighter for accessories on the headlight, or to use as an actual cigarettte lighter when u forget yer lighter and have to use the one from the truck), losing 2 things vs 1, and other silly crap like that. Ya, it's kinda pricey, but how much is a really good GPS and radio seperately? maybe within 50 bux or so?

Down here in Fl altitude is not an issue really it's flat here...where we ride, we find a pit and it's a huge deal! ....my current gps give altitude and i never look at it. (magellan gps 2000 i got for 60bux back in 98 or so)

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

If altitude is not a concern

Postby MrPolaris » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:10 am

If you are not concerned about the altitude and a seperat unit then go with the combo, I am just prone to loosing my crap, which is half the reason I just don;t have nice things. . . I loose them, in fact I would praobly loose my quad on a trail if I was not attached to it the whole time, but the reason I would actually loose it was Ken or Terry would want to ride it so bad they would have to jank it to ride a true piece of machinery
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"