garmin nuvi 500 or 550

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 am

It's definitely not like OMG! But when ever a trail is missing on the Topo 3D XL map, it will be on that map. Larry also uses it. He is the one who noticed the trails missing and found some uber nerd who converted it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

regor
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby regor » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:20 pm

I played around with it some more, your right it does have alot more roads on it. I had to move it into the detail maps folder to get the gps to find it. Thanks a million, there goes a sale for garmin. I was fixing to buy a 60cx. thanks again.
05 king quad
o4 eiger
08 can am 650 max xt

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Ken wrote:It's definitely not like OMG! But when ever a trail is missing on the Topo 3D XL map, it will be on that map. Larry also uses it. He is the one who noticed the trails missing and found some uber nerd who converted it.
Does it have elevation markers on the map that you can actually find in the middle of nowhere Nevada??

Yeah, didn't think so.

In a word, get something that you can load National Geographic maps on, they are the best of the best. The DeLorme looks pretty good too, from what I have seen of it.

I have the Triton 1500, and except for the tiny screen, I love it. THe maps don't get much better. Touch screen is nice. The Vantage Point software for transferring data to/from the PC is kind of a PITA, especially with Win7 or any 64 bit OS. Tech support sux ass - read, punjabi named Jon trying to tell you to just reboot the fawking thing. But it's much better than 2 years ago, with the latest firmware updates, no where near as many issues.

I'm waiting for the 4.3" - 7" 'car type' screened GPS that takes the NatGeo maps. I'll be first in line.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

avejoe
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby avejoe » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:23 pm

I have the Topo US 24k for CA and NV that I use on my 60csx. I can't imagine that any map could be much more detailed and useable.

Am I missing out on something that Nat. Geographic is producing?

I just wish the 60csx had a bigger screen...
07 Suzuki 700 King Quad (Sold)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400s (Sold)
04 Suzuki DL 650 (Sold)
02 BMW 1150RT
2006 Kawi KLR650
75 Honda CT70
77 Honda CT70
12 Toyota Prius V8

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 pm

avejoe wrote:I have the Topo US 24k for CA and NV that I use on my 60csx. I can't imagine that any map could be much more detailed and useable.

I just wish the 60csx had a bigger screen...
That's what I have too, and love it... the info is way overload on a handheld though, and it's hard to track without seriously staring at it... having it on a widescreen would be perfect I think though :) We found so many trails that were unmarked and we thought went no place.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:15 pm

avejoe wrote:I have the Topo US 24k for CA and NV that I use on my 60csx. I can't imagine that any map could be much more detailed and useable.

They are pretty impressive. We were outside of Tonopah...and I did all the navigating.. :flipoff Kendo: cause someone was trying to "figure" out how it worked.....ROFL....

that said...his maps are VERY IMPRESSIVE. We were in BFE, and his map said there was a USGS Elevation marker in the ground. Sure enough...we walked off the road into the desert..and there on the ground it was there.

Later on...we were riding back...and Kendo's map had this fence on the screen....old, rickity...but there it was...on the map.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

regor

Postby regor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:53 pm

yeah i've got nat. geo topo sitting right here on my desk. I looked at the delorme pn40, the screen is just too small. I was told that their maps just aren't as good as the garmins. But it will do this,

Included. Comes with three discs containing detailed hybrid topographic and street maps of the entire USA. You do not need anything else to hike, geocache, or navigate the backcountry. It's all in the box.
Also Included: Sample Certificate. A $40 certificate is included for downloading sample supplementary datasets. Take a "test drive" with any of the supplementary datasets DeLorme offers: high-resolution aerial imagery, USGS 7.5-Minute Quad Map, NOAA Nautical Charts, and more..
And for Only $29.95! Then, once you're convinced, subscribe to the NEW DeLorme Map Library for only $29.95 per year. Get all the USGS Quads, NOAA nautical charts and high-resolution color aerial imagery to layer WITH your topo and street maps for only $29.95! No hidden charges.

I just wish they would package this with about a 5 inch screen.
05 king quad
o4 eiger
08 can am 650 max xt

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:46 pm

That's why I like the XL...nice big color screen.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

regor

Postby regor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey Ken, i tried to run that file with mapsend. It said it was not a magellan program, or it was corrupted. Too bad, i like being able to get the maps on a full screen.........
05 king quad
o4 eiger
08 can am 650 max xt