Maxxis Bighorns, any input?

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:07 am

DAVE wrote:
I run 6 PSI all the way around, and the ride is perfect.
is that the recomended psi??? what is the advantage to the higher psi. It is my understanding that the radials have less side wall flex than a bias tire. I am running 4 psi in my xtr radials........... seems about right.

DAVE
Same here Dave. Only 3.75 rear and 4.25 in the front.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:25 am

I've been runnin' 6, my bro-in-law runs his at 5 psi, and my dad-in-law runs 5 psi on his PXT's. I'm probably just being extra careful due to constanly hitting 4-6 inch rocks @ 40 mph on the trail and in the washes.

I have a couple of nice dents in my rims from those rocks...I just don't want any more.
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:42 pm

DAVE wrote:It is my understanding that the radials have less side wall flex than a bias tire.
DAVE

You have it backwards there skippy....Radials have MORE sidewall flex...usually too much for rocks. That's why they have to run higher airpressure, to compensate for the sidewall falling down.

Biasply, have a more solid sideway, allowing LESS pressure...with same tire height as a radial with MORE pressure.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:09 pm

You have it backwards there skippy....Radials have MORE sidewall flex...usually too much for rocks. That's why they have to run higher airpressure, to compensate for the sidewall falling down.
why are radials for atv's advertised as haveing a larger footprint with a more stable ride re: less roll??? isn't that side wall flex??

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:27 pm

DAVE wrote:
why are radials for atv's advertised as haveing a larger footprint with a more stable ride re: less roll??? isn't that side wall flex??
The more the sidewall flex, the more footprint...that's it...I tell yah...with these bighorns the big beast doesn't feel as sporty...but definately more comfy to ride.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:34 pm

Radials by design, have more "footprint" because the tread is able to lay flat because the sidewall is not part of the tread.

Bias Ply the side wall and tread are the same material. That's why you see Bias Ply with massive thread on the sidewall.

Notice the sidewall of Bias-ply is much thicker, because it has to support the whole tire. Whereas the radial is thinner and has more flexing, with the a larger footprint.

This is GREAT...for asphalt.

The same bias ply will be higher with lower pressure than a radial. On my jeep tires. I ran my Radials at 12PSI for rock crawling.....much harder ride and less gripping around the rocks. My Super Swamper TSX Bias Ply's....I run them at 9 PSI and they are nearly the same tire height as with full pressure.

I could run them lower.....but the tire would start to lose height. With bead lockers...you can run Bias ply tires on my Jeep at 5PSI...easy.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 pm

Word...

THX for the book answer, Ken.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:19 pm

I just gotta say more...

70 more miles this weekend...desert and mountain rocks w/climbing loose and large rocks and large rocks that weren't loose...

LOVE'EM!!!

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm

The more I ride mine the more I'm thinking of getting rid of my Carlisle XTR's. I got the XTR's for trail riding, figuring the Bighorns would be too heavy, but the don't seem to slow the quad any and handle well in all terrain.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:42 am

Well Oldtrucks Bighorns did very well in the desert. Lots of sharp rocks. We did 300 miles in Mina and you could not even tell by looking at them.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:42 am

The one thing I did notice was their ability to bury themselves in soft soil/sand. If I got too aggresive with the throttle at low speeds in 2wd I could easily bury the rear. By then 4wd just added to the problem and pulled the front down with the back.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:46 pm

oldtrucks wrote:The one thing I did notice was their ability to bury themselves in soft soil/sand. If I got too aggresive with the throttle at low speeds in 2wd I could easily bury the rear. By then 4wd just added to the problem and pulled the front down with the back.

That's where the Polaris automatic locker kicks in...BEFORE you bury the rear tire. :)

When will these Zuki owners figure it out?? ](*,)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon May 01, 2006 10:02 am

Seems that some are just hopeless...

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri May 19, 2006 8:05 pm

550 miles, including two trips to the desert and 3 snow rides. The rear are just starting to show a little wear, about 1/16", which is actually good news to me. I'd heard they wore like iron, so I figured they would be way too hard a compound for rocks. I think I've had them in almost every situation and I'm very pleased. They aren't supposed to be good in the mud, but they work great, even clean out very well. I ran through some of the slimiest sticky mud up in the Black Rock desert and they worked great. I punished them one day during the Mina ride and they came away unharmed.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 pm

That's where the Polaris automatic locker kicks in...BEFORE you bury the rear tire.
Unless of course your Ken.... and bury all four in the snow....

Funny thing is.... I found about three others of Ken buried up to the frame and they weren't even the photos I was originally looking for.... lol.

How about.... GAS OFF..... Hello!!!
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.